*

*

Saturday, December 17, 2011

Trying!


Wow! This time of year is so hectic! I am dropping Hayden off to preschool four mornings a week and then attacking my to-do list of errands with Logan and Owen in tow. It almost seems never ending and despite trying to simplify and streamline gift giving, it still feels a little out of control sometimes.



In effort to preserve the real meaning of Christmas, I planned some activities with the boys while Owen was napping. The boys and I sat by the Christmas tree with the manger and their children's bible. Hayden was very attentive and could answer many of my questions from some recent preschool lessons. Logan, we lost as soon as I mentioned Jesus' birthday. From that point on, he only wanted to discuss his upcoming 3rd birthday. :)


After reading the story in their Bible, I allowed them to take turns placing Jesus, Mary & Joseph in the manger; hoping with some deeper meaning. Next, they listened to (Veggie Tales) Unto Us A Child Is Born. Lastly, I had a couple of follow-up activities that I found online.





While Hayden colored, cut and created a manger scene of his own with enthusiasm, Logan was most interested in eating his pretzels and drinking lemonade. I figured he had tuned me out long ago, until....




While alone at the table, with a paper book of Jesus' birth in a manger, the shepards and wisemen, upside down infront of him, he pointed to the words and said, "Dear Jesus. Love Logan. Amen."

The words were simple, but SO sweet.

He continued to 'read' those same words over and over.

The power within a child's prayer.

Hayden went over to listen.

The magic of Christmas wrapped up in a moment.

I suppose he did absorb something after all.