*

*

Monday, April 26, 2010

Trash to Treasure

I'll admit, I will pick something off of the curb that somebody is throwing away if it is worthwhile. I don't dig through trashcans or garbage bags but now on three occasions I have been in the right place at the right time. On all 3 occasions, people put something out a couple days before trash day, I think hoping somebody might take it (at least, that's what I tell myself). I found a great sand table last year as well as a Spiderman scooter! The exact one I was wanting to get for Hayden at the store. Absolutely nothing wrong with it (the owner said their son just out grew it and they were cleaning out the garage) and he still rides it around today.

So, this brings me to treasure #3. I glanced out our front window on Saturday and noticed a child sized wooden black rocking chair a neighbor had at their curb. (trash day isn't until Tuesday, clearly, he wanted somebody to take it!:) I wanted to get a closer look to see if it was damaged. I went across the street and quickly examined it to learn that it was quite lovely and sturdy too! Our neighbor was still in his garage cleaning things out so I asked him about the chair. He said it was his when he was a child and he was wanting to get rid of it and 'hoped somebody would be attracted to it.' I said I would love to take it if he is sure. Then, he said, "I have another one in white if you want it too.'
So, I took both chairs home and they are adorable! The black chair has this small box attached to one of the rocker of the chair. If you look inside you can see that there is a small metal spring and when it is pushed in (as one would rock, the weight would do this) it turns a music wheel to play music. It is no longer working but perhaps is fixable...they are just charming and the boys are enjoying them too!