*

*

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Allowance!

We have very recently started to have Hayden earn an allowance (50 cents/week).  He has a chore chart which currently has two new requirements: making his bed and cleaning his room (putting away books from nighttime reading, returning hangers to closet etc.)  He has to earn a certain number of magnets (1 magnet/per chore/ per day) each week in order to earn the 50 cents.  NOTE: Hayden has other responsibilities that are just expected such as putting away his clean laundry, clearing his dirty dishes, putting away dirty clothes, tidying toys etc.  We haven't figured out exactly if we will keep this system, but for now, he has the opportunity to earn 50 cents as we are introducing new responsibilities.
The boys were browsing the toy isles in Target when I approached Hayden with a dollar.  I told him he had earned a dollar over the last couple of weeks and that he had a choice.  I could take him to the dollar bins where he could purchase something immediately or he could price out a toy, save his dollar and wait to purchase the toy until he had the correct amount.  I was delighted that he chose to wait until he had 4 dollars to purchase armor for his ZuZu pet. Self-control and discipline winning over immediate gratification--yes!

In the coming days he would proudly tell people that he was saving his money to buy a toy.

Finally the day arrived, between his allowance and lemonade sale profit, he had a bit over 4 dollars. With his change bag in hand, he picked out the armor for his ZuZu pet and paid for it by himself!  What pride and excitement for him!

The joy continues, when the woman at the register, handed Hayden his change, he turned to me and said, "See, I told you I would have enough money to buy something for Logan."  (insert, warm and melted Mommy heart) 
After visiting the dollar bin section, Hayden selected a Lightening McQueen pail to give his brother.