



So I just can't help myself...I did some word family work with Hayden. Recently, he has been very much into letters/words/reading/rhyming and I decided to capitalize on this excitement.
We started with -ug family. First we read the -ug book which is a cute story about a bug who lives in a rug and finds a jug...you get the idea. After reading the story we brainstormed words that we heard in the story which are part of the -ug family. We drew a house on a paper to emphasize the 'family' concept. Hayden actually recalled two words: tug & bug. Next, we 'made' some words using letter magnets. We kept the suffix -ug at the top of a baking tray and then substituted the beginning letter to make our words. Lastly, using a flip letter chart, Hayden spelled the word 'bug.' He was SO excited when he turned the last letter to 'g' and completed the word bug. He has been talking about the -ug family for the last couple days.