*

*

Thursday, April 25, 2013

2:30 pm

Nearly each afternoon, Monday through Friday, you can find Logan and I sitting on the floor by the coffee table playing a game.  This has become one of my favorite times of the day; it is a bit of a lull.  Owen is down for a nap, my chores (for the most part--they're never really done, right?) are completed, dinner is prepped and Hayden's bus is due to arrive in 30 minutes at 3:00pm. 

It has served as some great quality time for us. Logan is a little guy who works feverishly to keep up with his big brother so it is a bit of a breather for him to play the games without that constant pressure he puts on himself.  I let him pick the game: Dominos, Candy Land, Chutes & Ladders, Uno Moo, Go Fish, War, Hot Wheels Math, Spot It, Matching, Yahtzee Jr. or a puzzle.  I always have a hot cup of coffee since I am actually sitting for more than a few minutes and can enjoy it.


The other day he picked the math game we have.  It promotes addition and something clicked the other afternoon.  He would look at the two dice and start to add in his head and arrive at the correct answer.  He kept exclaiming, "I'm learning math!  I'm learning math! I can't wait to tell Hayden and Daddy."  At one point, Logan rolled two fives.  He turned to me, tilting his head and said, "you know, the answer starts with a 't' sound!"  Well, if that doesn't make a teacher's/mommy's heart swell!