Each birthday is bittersweet for me. It serves a marker of time; mocking my fear that childhood is fleeting. That my role as 'mommy' is brief. Yet, the sweetness of watching our child grow surpasses any bitterness. This last year has been instrumental for Hayden. All his qualities refined, his character more polished.
I'll never forget the moment he was born. He was a full 4 weeks early and just prior to his arrival the doctors informed me that he probably won't be crying and not to be alarmed if he was slightly blue--all to be expected with an early baby.
Although tiny (5 lbs 4 oz) Hayden was mighty and entered the world kicking, crying and pink. While they were taking vitals he quieted down and with large, alert eyes watched. I remember the nurses remarking on how observant he seemed. He scored 10/10 on both APGAR test.
No doubt, Hayden was born ready and loving life--he hasn't slowed down!
Hayden has a huge heart with which he accepts the whole world. After picking him up after his first day of school here in Florida (after just moving mid-school year) I asked him if he made any friends. Hayden responded, "Silly mommy! All the kids in my class are my friend."
Ever since I was a little girl I dreamed of becoming a mom and Hayden was the first to make that dream come true. His passion and zest for people and life is infectious and inspiring. He is such a blessing!