*

*

Sunday, January 12, 2014

the moment




We've known since May

The moment
I've replayed in my mind
over and over
the anticipation
eyes welling behind sunglasses
while driving to school or soccer
pushing down the lump in my throat
over and over
lungs skipping a breath
every
single
day
since May.

I'll be strong
in that moment
I'd assure myself
I'll be brave
in that moment
I'd coach myself

Yet there I stood
in that said moment
within his embrace
all rehearsal
evaporated
my soul split
and heart shattered
I scrambled to pick up the pieces
not wanting the boys to detect my
brokenness
for I knew when I turned around
six eyes would be searching me for
comfort
three tender hearts seeking me for
solace

farewells are tough
months lay between our reunion
birthdays, holidays, growing & changing

it was a painful moment
to let go
and watch my husband leave
for a restless land

it was a painful moment
to see our boys let go
and watch their Daddy leave
for what is hard for them to understand

But

now we have a new moment
on our horizon
one of great joy and celebration

our reunion

and so
as time marches forward
I will lose myself into the daydream
of his homecoming
when I feel his embrace
once again
when I watch joy wash over
our children's faces

indeed
a sweet
and precious
moment
awaits


"How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard."
--A.A. Milne

Prayers for a safe and uneventful six months.


NOTE: I will not be watching/listening/reading any news so please refrain from sharing any current events from abroad with me.