*

*

Saturday, September 1, 2012

Isaac

Watching the weather updates with Hurricane Isaac initially predicted to hit land between Pensacola and Destin, FL ( which = our house) and with Ryan out of town I decided it best to leave with the boys.  So, I packed the van with our photo albums, baby books, personal files and a few other sentiments.  I debated if I should stay in a hotel a few hours inland or drive 500 miles to my parents house.  Ultimately, I decided it would be much more fun to spend some time with MiMi & PopPop vs. a couple of days in a hotel with three little boys. 
The boys were really great during the near 12 hour drive.  Of course, upon arrival, I learned that during the day Isaac's path appeared to be moving west taking our house out of it's direct path.  We arrived on Sunday and with Hayden's school closed Tuesday and Wednesday we decided to stay a couple of days.  What a fun couple of days it was!!!!!

The weather was gorgeous on Monday!  We started the day with pancakes on the screen porch and then PopPop took the big boys on a hike up the hill to watch some construction taking place and throw rocks (aiming for a tree).

Look closely and you'll see the boys half-way up.


Mid-morning we left to visit baby goats at Carl Sanburg's home.  We had to hike up to the barn. 

              MiMi & the big boys during the hike 


               PopPop had the toughest job of pushing Owen up the hill.


Logan was timid at first and decided it safest to remain outside the fence with MiMi.  Hayden though, went right inside.  The goats were so sweet!



            Notice Logan behind the fence feeling a bit nervous.



Owen was delighted

Eventually, Logan felt it safe to pet the goat through the fence.
 
I thought for sure I snapped a picture of Logan inside with the goats but I don't seem to have one.  Logan allowed me to carry him into the area with the goats and after a few minutes asked to be let down.  He was cautious but felt proud that he overcame a fear.
 
Logan walked around with holding his nose declaring the barn was 'stinky.'



After our visit with the goats, we hiked back down and went into Hendersonville for a pizza lunch and ice cream.

Other highlights....Chinese Checkers.  MiMi taught Hayden to play in March when we stopped there as our half-way during our move to FL.  They played some more in July during our visit and this time, Hayden won his first game!  He's getting much better at his strategy.  Logan is a little young to grasp all the rules, but he enjoyed trying.



PopPop taught the boys to play pool. They were SO excited!



Ryan was initially scheduled to fly back to FL on Tuesday afternoon, exactly during Isaac's arrival.  His flight was cancelled and we decided it best (for my sanity) if he were to redirect to S.C. and then drive the 500 miles back to FL with me.  He landed Tuesday at dinner time in S.C. and we left early the next morning.  We did manage a little birthday celebration for Owen complete with cupcakes!


The two days passed quickly.  After feeling stressed from preparing for the storm, then evacuating for the storm, it was lovely to not think about making, or even cleaning up, dinner.  I could focus on the boys and not juggle it all on my own...phew! 

Hayden was especially sad to leave.  Through tears he said, I hope there is a storm that lasts for 3 weeks!  While we'd love another visit, we hope it is a planned vacation and not a devastating storm that brings us to town. 

Here is a picture of the pier in Navarre during the impacts from Isaac.  Typically, the water is calm (we don't really have waves) and the pier is tall.  Not sure why people felt it wise to stand out there.



Grateful for all the help and fun!