Thursday, November 8, 2012
Move Your Magnets!
A couple of months ago I made these magnetic chore charts. To make the magnets I printed out pictures then adhered them to glass, round tiles which I ultimately glued a magnet to the back. I used stickers for the letters on a very inexpensive dry erase board. Lastly, I attached ribbon on the top to create a hanger.
This is basically a visual checklist for them. The magnets we currently have up are: clear your dishes, get dressed, make your bed, clean your room, put toys away and brush your teeth. I have more for when they get a little bigger (ie. take out the trash etc).
So far this has worked well for both their personalities: fiercely independent and easily distracted, creative spirit.
The mornings are busy getting all three boys dressed and ready to be out the door just before 8. Instead of reminding them about each step I just say, "I'm going to check magnets in a few minutes."