This August is our 15th Air Force anniversary (I've been along for 12) and my 20th running anniversary!
It's tradition to punctuate anniversaries with a celebration/occasion and I suppose these two will not go unattended. I had thought about celebrating my 20th with a big race of sorts and in May I got my catalyst. After returning to work from his two months of Squadron Officer School, Ryan learned that he is scheduled for a rotational logistics deployment in early 2014. Eight months to anticipate; eight months to struggle not to think about it--a perfect forum to launch me into training.
Around that same time a new friend invited me on an early morning run. I accepted and so it began. On Tuesdays and Thursdays I get up at 4:45 a.m. to meet her for a five mile run and on Saturdays we 'sleep in' until 5 a.m. and meet for our long run.
I'm now up to 11 miles. When I look at my Garmin and see only 40 minutes have passed,
I sigh.
With relief!
Another hour ahead.
Another hour of me; my thoughts uninterrupted.
And when I return home I'm ready. I'm ready for my boys.
I've fed me first.
I've depleted my body only to refuel my spirit.
Don't think this has been an easy journey. I've had many vulnerable moments. Moments I wanted to quit, give up or simply go back to sleep when the alarm sounds.
But I've continued.
I've broken through mental and physical walls
I've persevered.
I've pushed my body through pain, to find peace
And the reward has been worth it.
Although, I now fall asleep every night,
on the couch
at 8:30 pm
while sitting up.
I'm thankful for a husband who is not only supportive, but encouraging.
He's so proud of me.
I've surprised myself with this new level of stamina
I'm also surprised with what I've discovered along the way
As my body sweats during the runs
I have also shed layers.
The tough layers of mommy.
And underneath them all
I discovered her.
Behind all the diapers, tantrums, cleaning, cooking, errands....
there she was.
She was starving.
So I've fed her with more pre-dawn wake-ups
and demanded more miles from her.
You know what?
She's not only delivered,
she's thrived.
I had forgotten what a fierce fighter she can be.
So as I look towards the next ten months
I'm faced with at least 7 as a single parent; most of that being a deployment.
Coupled with the anxiety of my love being in Afghanistan.
While being far from family for support.
It can be overwhelming at best
But now I say
Bring it on.
because I'm in touch with my inner warrior.
I found Laura
She's fierce.
She's ready.
After all, she's a runner.
Note: Forever grateful for my mom who insisted I try cross country 20 year ago. And to my dad, who would drive an hour from work to cheer me on during races. They are my cornerstone.