*

*

Sunday, August 4, 2013

Part III

NOTE: some pictures are sideways or upside down despite being saved correctly, sorry.
 
At last, we arrived to my favorite place, Stone Harbor, NJ.  I grew up coming to this shore and this is the fourth summer Ryan and I have joined my parents and sister's family. 
The following words come to mind when I think of S.H: family, beach, picket fences, hydrangeas, bike riding, donuts, ice cream, putt-putt, games, swimming, walking, Main Street, sea gulls, simplicity, sand, memories, breezes, calmness, sunscreen and happiness. Delighted, yet not surprised, this small town has captured the hearts of Ryan and the boys.  I truly look forward to our visit the entire year and in moments of stress I picture Stone Harbor, my happy place.
 
 
We arrived late afternoon and the cousins immediately filled the pool with giggles and splashes.  Later that evening eagerness hung in the air so we walked two blocks to the beach for a week's preview.  The gentle slapping of waves beckoned the kids to the water's edge tickling their legs with splashes ensuing pure giddiness.  The eve of a wonderful week lay ahead.
 

 
Bathing suits still dampened with saltwater, sandy toes feverishly rinsed and the pool was the afternoon/evening entertainment.  Grown-ups enjoyed happy hour pool side serenaded with laughter bellowing from the water.  Emma was a super helper with Owen!
 






I LOVE parking the car for the week and getting everywhere via bikes or foot.  Here is Owen sporting a pink bunny helmet courtesy of his cousins.
 
Each morning we would ride bikes 7 blocks to Main Street to purchase donuts.  The same bakery I went to as a girl exuding the same wonderful smell.
 

 
Hayden gave boogie boarding a try and became quickly hooked on the high of riding a wave to shore.


 
 


 
Bocce Ball was popular with the kids.  Naturally, Owen had a difficult time not wanting to collect and throw the balls in play.

 
Logan is actually quite good with the frisbee.


Julia and Logan jumping waves.
 
 
MiMi & PopPop were a great help with Owen who had some tough toddler moments between not sleeping well at night and failing to keep up with the 5 older kids.
 



Trumping the beach, the pool and bike riding, Owen's favorite thing to do was sit side-by-side on the deck with PopPop.  They would chat at times but happily sat in silence enjoying the breeze.
 
A couple of evenings we rode bikes to town to have ice cream.
 
 
 

 
Per tradition, we drove 20 minutes to spend an evening at Wildwood boardwalk.  Don't be fooled by his smile Ryan was quite (borderline painfully) wedged  in the pink elephant below. The ride went in small circles up high off the ground.  As it circled around and around, from my vantage point below, I could only see Ryan on the ride (all the kids were too small)...it was a humorous sight.

 
Owen driving the truck.  If you look carefully you can see him squealing with delight.

 



 
At dinner after two hours of rides.  The air condition was welcomed!

 
Allison and I enjoyed a long run on the day it drizzled.  I quit after 8 miles and she continued to run 10.  We hope to run a half-marathon together in the upcoming year.
 
 
We happened to be there the same week Santa visits town for Christmas in July.  Ryan ran into him while on a run.
 

 
This year we rented paddle boards.  Ryan and Sheldon went out early (6 a.m.) a couple of mornings  on their own.  Otherwise, the kids really had fun too!
 
Hayden got on the board all by himself and did a fantastic job. I love the proud smile on his face here.

 
Owen wanted to keep up with everything the big kids did.  I was able to divert his frustrations temporarily to rock throwing.

 
And here he is not to be outdone by brothers or cousins.

 
As I started to paddle away Owen instantly went into a frenzy watching me move further away.  For a moment, I contemplated escaping but duty prevailed and I returned to the distraught toddler.


 
In a blink, the week had ended.  A big thank you to MiMi & PopPop!!
 
 
 
 
"You can shake the sand from your toes but it never leaves your soul"