The boys and I went to the zoo today. The weather was GORGEOUS; comfortable in the sunshine and tad chilly in the shade. Like many zoos there is a train that is available to ride. I have never taken the boys on the train before for fear of how Owen might react. But, today I felt confident that he wouldn't feel scared or try and squirm.
All 4 of us squeezed in on one little bench. I wanted to capture our picture so I tried the popular do-it-yourself with my arm stretched out. This is how it turned out.
Don't worry, I asked somebody when we arrived back at the station to take our picture. I'll post it at the end of the story.
The train departed from the station. I could walk faster than the train. In fact, Owen could probably walk faster than the train. But, everybody sat wonderfully and I was enjoying the beautiful weather. Within a few minutes we were viewing the gorillas off to our right. They live on an island surrounded by water maybe twenty feet wide.
Hayden said, "Look, he's coming to the edge to say hi.' (on the left by the water)
The next moment, he picks up a giant branch and HURLS it at the train!! As I am watching it fly and flip through the air I'm thinking, "there is no way it will reach the train." Oh, but it does! It nearly knocked the conductor off her seat!!
In this blurry picture he is throwing the branch.
Then, he started to jump up and down while pounding his chest. Meanwhile, we are moving at a snail pace. It wasn't over! The gorilla went back for another branch and AGAIN chucks it at the train. With impeccable accuracy it again reached the train with the conductor putting her arm up to deflect it!
Not easy to see in the photo but he then snarled and showed his teeth with a vengeance!!
I was really hoping that the gorilla's fear of the water was greater than his anger! Phew! We finally passed him and the rest of the ride was peaceful and uneventful.
Every time the train went around a bend and Owen caught a glimpse of the cars/engine in front of us he got really excited and exclaimed, "Train! Train!" I'm not sure if realized he was sitting on the train.
Remember I asked somebody to take our picture?? Here it is:
Visiting the birds....
Logan LOVES the birds now. In fact, we went back to see them a second time today.
Another attempt on a picture of us 4.
It was a fun and adventurous outing. Though, it might be a while before we ride the train again.