I hydrated well the day before the race, ate balanced meals--carbs and proteins (even included lots of garlic--a natural anti-inflammatory. I was sure to rest my legs those last few days too.
But best laid plans.....the good news is I beat my last time. Official race time 1:56.34. My average mile time was 8:54. However, during training runs it was usually 8:30. So, I was a bit disappointed. To my credit, I got sick three times during the race. It hit me around mile 7. They ran out of water at some of the stations so I thought it was due to the heat/dehydration (one of my first runs this season in the heat with intense sun). However, I was sick all day and fatigued throughout the weekend...wondering if it was the stomach bug going around.
In any event, I have already begun training for my next half--next November! Can't wait!
This picture was taken before the race (obviously, look how fresh and rested I am).
Here I am at the finish...I felt as bad as I looked...but there's always next time!
If I am honest, it wasn't always easy to maintain my mileage and training regime while Ryan is deployed. Lots of coordinating with babysitters, completing most runs on the treadmill, tediously running our short street when all else failed and still running when I felt a bit weary from all the demands placed on me right now. A huge thank you for all the support from family and friends. All the support and words of encouragement throughout training was a real boost. Plus, the messages race day meant more than you'll know. I'd be remiss to not mention Ryan. Despite being so far his support felt near. He certainly puts pep in my step!

