*

*

Thursday, April 10, 2014

Running Jr

A couple of weeks ago a note came home in Hayden's backpack from his gym teacher.  It began, "Your child really loves to run!" 

Another local school hosts an annual cross country run using a 2 mile course.  It is for grades K-5.  Students from our school were selected to be invited based on the gym teacher's recommendations.

I was a bit nervous thinking about him running 2 miles!  I know he gives his all in sports and feared he might over exert himself being naive in how to pace for distance.  So, I ran our street with him a bit (never 2 whole miles) to give him the feel for distance/pacing.  He couldn't wait!

 
At the start line with his buddy

 
Logan, Owen and I were at the finish line waiting.  Due to the course we could only view the start and finish.  Hayden said he only stopped once to drink water half-way.  Owen was the cutest spectator.  He cheered for EVERYBODY passing by with big claps and an occasional high-pitched 'WoooOOoo!"

 
Here is Hayden as he runs to the finish.

'
 
He looks left....

 
He looks right...

 
And gives it his all!!!

 
...and he passes both of them!


 
Hayden was 6th place for first grade boys.  Afterwards he said, "It was like my legs just kept pulling me.  Even after the race they just wanted to run!"



So very exciting to share this passion!!!!