I discussed with the boys that over the summer they should be responsible for some extra chores, in addition to their usual. I asked them to help me create a list. After some thought, we had a generous list which Hayden transcribed onto popsicle sticks for us. The sticks will live in a bucket and they will get to choose one each day. Here is the list:
dust living room and dining room
dust mom and dads room
collect garbage
wipe bathroom counter
dust family room
vacuum kitchen
dust boys' rooms
vacuum van
I bought some microfiber rags--one created for dusting wood and another for wiping windows--not requiring any cleaning solutions. I also bought a container of sanitizing wipes for the bathroom counter and sinks. We recently purchased a small, lightweight, cordless vacuum to help with the constant kitchen crumbs. It can detach into a small handheld which is perfect for the van. It has been about a month and the boys are still excited to use it--hoping that won't fade.
I am going to really try and stay consistent with this. I'll try and update mid-summer.